ComChart EMR is one of the oldest and most comprehensive electronic medical records.
Overview of ComChart EMR
It is designed to mimic the traditional paper medical record and is very easy to use. ComChart had following modules:
- Patient Demographics: In ComChart EMR the user is presented with the Demographics file. The Demographics file contains the patient's phone numbers, address etc.
- Clinical Summary : The clinical summary file displays the patient's problem list, medicine list, old problem list, old medicine list, allergy list, PCP and family history. Information can easily be and exchanged between the medicine list and old medicine list.
- Progress Notes: Progress note file is designed to give the physician easy access to everything that may be required during a typical patient encounter; including the patient's problem list, medicine list, flow sheets, prescriptions writing, lab results, radiology results, patient scheduling, ordering tests as well as the ability to see if the patient has a future appointment scheduled.
- FlowSheets: Comchart has built in flowsheet systems to automatically notify the health care provider when a patient is past-due for a "routine" health screening study. ComChart includes three "pre-written" screening panels (male, female and diabetic) which can be easily modified. Using the easy to use "standard flow sheet" template, one can change the minimum age, maximum age or annual interval which dictates whether or not a particular "screening" study is relevant and past due for a given patient
ComChart also have modules for patient scheduling, E- Prescribing, Growth charts, Graphing lab resuts and Todo lists .
Hayward Zwerling, MD, the designer of the ComChart EMR created ComChart EMR in 1991 in the office of a practicing physician and was designed to:
- Mimic the structure of the traditional paper medical record
- Enables physicians to run a paperless office
- Is intuitively understood by physicians
- Is fully customizable
- allow physicians to continue with their work-flow patterns
- efficent for small partices
- different practices seeing same patients with multiple medications and labs tests.
Comchart EMR uses flow sheet feature to keep patients up to date on required tests which improves the quality of care provided to the patients and help operate practices efficiently.
Some of the features in ComChart EMR include
- Electronically file lab results from Quest, LabCorp, CCHIT formatted lab and many others
- Create "one-click progress notes" using any combination of:
- Template progress notes
- Dictated progress notes from a transcriptionist
- Point and click progress notes
- Speech recognition software like Dragon's NaturalSpeaking & MacSpeech's Dictate.
- Fax progress notes, prescriptions and orders
- Interface to Lytec Medical, AltaPoint, Medisoft & MacPractice (Mac OS X) billing programs
- An integrated patient scheduling & physician meeting calendars
- Integrated electronic prescribing via NewCrop
- Integrated document management for filing PDF documents
- Graph laboratory results, vital signs, pediatric growth curves.
- Create customizable charts/graphs of laboratory, flowsheet and/or xray data
- Integrated DOQ-IT module
- Assess the quality of care you provide to your patients
- Compatible with Windows, Mac OS X & Linux
- Interfaces to Fonality PBx telephone system
- Interfaces to Skype for (almost) free internet telephone calls
- Integrated credit card interface
- ComChart Physician Patient Web Interface enables you (and selected MDs) to view medical records and your patient schedule, using any web browser or the iPhone. (file size 9 mB)
- ComChart Physician Patient Web Interface allows your patients to review sections of their medical record, schedule an appointment, send secure email, submit credit card payments, request prescription refill and complete a history form using any web browser.
- ComChart includes all the "Physician needed" CCHIT features, without the CCHIT bloat
Structure of ComChart
- Client/Server or ASP: Client Server
- EMR or EMR/PM System: EMR/PM - interfaced with the PM - Available Individually
- Operating System: Windows, Mac, UNIX/Linux
ComChart Physician Patient Web Interface enables you (and selected MDs) to view medical records and your patient schedule, using any web browser or the iPhone. ComChart Physician Patient Web Interface allows your patients to review sections of their medical record, schedule an appointment, send secure email, submit credit card payments, request prescription refill and complete a history form using any web browser.
ComChart EMR has the features necessary to meet the US Government's Department of Health and Human Services' definition of "meaningful use" and to become "HHS certified."