E-Shushrut is India's first large scale initiative towards an electronic medical record, developed by the Center for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC), Govt. of India. It was released in 2002, but due to poor publicity much of it has not come to light.
Hospital Information Systems (HIS) have been implemented in India since the 1990's. However, these systems were essentially used for patient registration data only. Most clinical patient records were still maintained on paper. E-sushrut was developed as a tool to integrate electronic clinic records with hospital management functions and billing processes.
E-Sushrut is a Hospital Management Information System based on ERP solutions. This system provides accurate, real time electronic medical records (EMR) of patients and streamlines patient care and its associated administrative functions. E-Sushrut implementation is modular with the goal of allowing technological updates to improve functionality. It does however use relatively out of date user interface technology based on Windows - 95/98/2000 and NT on the front end with NT/Unix/Solaris for its back end operations.
A more recent effort is the development of a cloud based version of this information management system called “Megh-Sushrut”. This system is still in its trial phase.
The developers have classified the modular implementation under the following functions:
- Out Patient Management
- Pharmacy Management
- In Patient Management
- Operation Theater
- Patient Medical Records
- Blood Bank
- Central Sterile Services
- Gas Plant
- Biomedical Waste Management
- Diet Kitchen
- Central Stores
- Bio-Medical Engineering Department
- Master Management
- User Management
- Stores Management System
- Personnel Information System
- Finance Management System
- Library Management System
- Miscellaneous administrative activities
- J2EE/ Struts, Oracle 11g, PostGres 9.1
- Compliances with International Health Standards such as HL7, DICOM, LIONIC, CPT, ASTM etc
E-Sushrut is being implemented in major medical colleges and government hospitals across India. Some of the hospitals are:
- Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research, Chandigarh
- S.M.S. Hospital, Jaipur.
- All Hospitals under Govt. of NCT Delhi
- Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute, Lucknow
- Guru Tej Bahadur Hospital, New Delhi
- Regional Cancer Center, Thiruvananthapuram
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences, Sevagram
The E-Sushrut system has been used by a number of large health care organizations.
- SGPGI Lucknow - Since 1998
- GTBH Delhi - Since 2000
- Central Hospital, Northern Railway, New Delhi - Since 2002
- GB Pant, Port Blair – Since July 2004
- General Hospital, Chandigarh, Since January 2005
- MGIMS, Sevagram (Nagpur), Since January 2005
- IGMC, Shimla
Sushrut has recently been the recipient of several rewards. Megh-Sushrut received the Skoch Order for Merit Award in 2013. In 2012, Megh-Sushrut received the Manthan Award. Also, in 2013, they received CSI Nihilent e-Governance Award for across Rajasthan and GGSH Delhi in 2013. 
- Center for Development of advanced Computing. About Health Information Practices in CDAC. http://xn--11bx2e6a3b.xn--h2brj9c/index.aspx?id=hi_his_sushrut