Difference between revisions of "Vendor Selection Criteria: Certification and meaningful use"
(Created page with " == Regulatory Compliance == Selecting an EMR is like buying a house where it needs thorough inspection/evaluation and making sure that every component is functional and meet...")
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
an a and and the to the that be the the :
=== Meaningful Use (MU) ===
=== Meaningful Use (MU) ===
Revision as of 20:04, 18 September 2015
Selecting an EMR is like buying a house where it needs thorough inspection/evaluation and making sure that every component is functional and meeting all the related requirements prior to approval and signing of contract. Based on experience, some of the significant criteria that must be considered during the selection process are the following:
- Is the EHR system HIE certified? The organization might need an EHR system that meets the national interoperability standards; a system with the capability of transferring health information within and across organizational and state boundaries. Implementing an HIE certified system will eliminate the need to create a custom interface in the future that may be very costly to the organization. An HIE certified system will "reduce adoption barriers due to high interface costs, low reliability, and unknown development costs for the vendor". 
Meaningful Use (MU)
Meaningful use is using certified electronic health record (EHR) technology to: Improve quality, safety, efficiency, and reduce health disparities. Engage patients and family. Improve care coordination, and population and public health.  A gap analysis can be performed:
Meaningful Use Gap Analysis
- Is it ONC Certified? 
- Does it meet all Meaningful Use objectives?
- Does it provide automated MU & Clinical Quality Measure Reports?
- Does the vendor provide MU Training Guides/Resources?
- Does the system facilitate easy MU Data capture such as required data fields?
- Does it provide audit logs, usage monitoring, etc?
- Does it allow/include data migration from previous EMR?
- Does it contain CDS Rules to improve performance on high priority health conditions?
- Does it have capability to electronically submit Clinical Quality Measures to CMS?
- Does it have Public/Cancer Registry Reporting Capabilities?
- Does it provide 24/7 technical support?
- Does it include Pt Portal, CCD Transmission & Direct Messaging with no extra/minimal cost? 
- Is the ONC certification current or does the product require inherited certification/ gap certification?
back to home, Vendor Selection criteria
- EHR/HIE: Interoperability http://interopwg.org/certification.html/
- Meaningful Use Definition and Objectives http://www.healthit.gov/providers-professionals/meaningful-use-definition-objectives