See also Federal HIT Initiatives.
National Funding Sources
- Advanced Technology Program (ATP) within NIST encourages research in technology. Includes a healthcare informatics emphasis. (U.S. Department of Commerce)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) funds research in evidence-based medicine, quality improvement, healthcare efficiency and access. (U.S. Department of Commerce)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation's Global Health program funds advances in healthcare. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) research programs supports healthcare information development projects through in a variety of ways. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Distance Learning and Telemedicine Grant Program to encourage and improve the use of telecommunications, computer networks, and related technologies for rural communities to improve access to education or health care. (U.S. Department of Agriculture)
- Epidemiology Program Office (EPO) for public health surveillance, collection of statistics and epidemiology data, outbreak prevention. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Foundation of Research and Education (American Health Information Management Association) for advances in health information management.
- Bureau of Primary Health Care through Healthy Community Access Program) for healthcare access improvements through efficiencies and private sector participation. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA))
- Office of the Advancement of Telehealth (OAT) for telemedicine projects. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA))
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation funds training, education and research toward increased effectiveness of healthcare delivery. The foundation's Health e-Technologies Initiative funds research in eHealth applications toward health behavior improvement and better chronic disease management.
- Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation funds research and surveys of public health issues
- Joseph H. Kanter Foundation provides assistance with outcomes research and public understanding toward quality improvements and reduction of medical errors.
- W.K. Kellogg Foundation's Health Progam for innovations in design, delivery and oversight toward better access to healthcare.
- Markle Foundation for application of information and communication technology by consumers toward improved health.
- National Library of Medicine (NLM) Office of External Programs funds development of health information tools through Resource Support for Information Management. (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services)
- Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) for small businesses performing healthcare informatics R&D toward commercialization. (U.S. Small Business Administration)
- Technology Opportunities Program (TOP) for public safety, healthcare delivery and economic development. (U.S. Department of Commerce)
- Telemedicine & Advanced Technology Research Center (TATRC) for projects that support delivery of healthcare to military personnel. (U.S. Department of Defense)
- Universal Service Fund for connectivity and internet access for nonprofit providers.
Capital Development Planning and Grantwriting
--Michael Christopher 17:59, 17 April 2006 (CDT)