METEOR: An Enterprise Health Informatics Environment to Support Evidence-based Medicine
The Houston Methodist Hospital (HMH) is one of the leading hospitals in research to date. It is home to seven hospitals and operates nine major clinical database. The purpose of this study is to propose a new method for obtaining data information in a more reliable, efficient and less costly way. The development of a single database access should be compliant with patient safety and privacy. Therefore, its usability should facilitate researches to simplify, gather and tests their scientific hypothesis in order to serve as many research studies available. According to the author, "METEOR was designed and developed as a platform that allows HMH system to improve rather than just to report on performance and to provide a reliable and coherent platform for developing a broad range of novel clinical solutions at the software intelligence and analytics (SIA) layer to support the practice of evidence-based medicine at the enterprise level".
The HMH (Houston Methodist Hospital) developed an integrated system named METEOR (Methodist Environment for Translational Enhancement and Outcomes Research) for the support of clinical research. This system consists of two components essential for integrating, categorizing and analyzing data.
- Component 1: Data warehouse is a combination of "different visual analytics, presentation logic, and query interfaces created for different groups of users, e.g., physicians and caregivers, hospital administrators and executives, power users such as biostatisticians, and automated report generation for outcomes and clinical research purposes" 
- Component 2: Software Intelligence and Analytics is a CDS application system tools for the integration and implementation of Evidence based medicine and clinical decision support used in research studies.
The implementation of METEOR proves to address successful areas in the study of clinical informatics through different categories designed in component 2, the Software Intelligence and Analytics.
- mPOD (METEOR Point Of Delivery) tool used to identify and gather patient information for research purposes through a web based query interface.
- MOTTE (Methodist hOspital Text Teaser) a natural language processing tool designed to extract specific clinical information from the data warehouse.
- READMIT (Readmission Risk Estimator) application was used to estimate the risk of readmissions. In this study the percentage was estimated risk was 70.9%. 
METEOR (Methodist Environment for Translational Enhancement and Outcomes Research) is part of the Enterprise Data Warehouse essential for the advancement of clinical research and health informatics. According to the author, METEOR is a tool designed to help physicians and scientific researchers employ the latest software applications to ensure efficiency and convenience for overall patient satisfaction and for the improvement of coordinated healthcare.
METEOR and its software applications is an initiative for the implementation of integrated Evidence based medicine in the Electronic Health Records. This tool was designed in an important recognized health care institution for the improvement of health care outcomes through clinical research. It would be interesting to learn about the second phase of this study and its advancement in Health Information Technology.
- METEOR: An Enterprise Health Informatics Environment to Support Evidence-based Medicine,http://ca3cx5qj7w.search.serialssolutions.com/OpenURL_local?sid=Entrez:PubMed&id=pmid:26126271,Puppala, M. M. (06/2015)