OpenEMR "is a free and open source electronic health records and medical practice management application” . OpenEMR is certified as an Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology (ONC) Complete Ambulatory EHR (Electronic Health Record) by the International Computer Security Association (ICSA) Labs [1-3].
In 2001, the OpenEMR application was launched by Synitech . In 2003, maintenance of OpenEMR was assumed by the Pennington Firm . More recently, OpenEMR has been administered by Rod Roark and Brady Miller . The OpenEMR website states “OpenEMR is supported by a strong community of volunteers and professionals all with the common goal of making OpenEMR a superior alternative to its proprietary counterparts” .
The OpenEMR application was initially released under the name MP Pro (MedicalPractice Professional) . The application was subsequently updated to accommodate Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) regulations and re-released in 2002 as OpenEMR . Since 2002, numerous updates have improved standards compliance, internationalization and interoperability . Version 4.1.2 was released August 17, 2013 .
As open source software, OpenEMR is free for download, use and modification under the GNU General Public License . Free support is also available .
- Integrated Patient Demographics and Insurance Documentation
- Patient Scheduling
- Electronic Medical Records
- Clinical Decision Support
- Prescription Tracking and Ordering
- Coding, Billing and Claims Management
- Report Generation
- Patient Portal .
OpenEMR currently supports more than 15 languages/dialects and includes access control and encryption capabilities [2,4].
The OpenEMR application is built on the programming language PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) and runs on Microsoft (Windows), Mac, and Unix operating systems [1,2,4].
The OpenEMR application has been downloaded more than 200,000 times in more than a dozen countries [2,5].
OEMR is a non-profit charitable foundation created to provide revenues in support of the OpenEMR project and community [2,6].
- OpenEMR. http://www.open-emr.org/.
- OpenEMR - Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEMR.
- OEMR – Open EMR 4.1. Certified Health IT Product List. The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology. http://oncchpl.force.com/ehrcert/ehrproductdetail?allClassification=BothEHR&attestationYear=None&browseBy=vendorName&completeOnly=false&counter=0&criteriaIds=&criteriaSearchByMeasures=false&doLastSearch=false&id=a0Aa000000aLcVVEA0&lastSearch=searchByField&modularOnly=false&pageNumber=1&pageSize=25&practiceRadio2014=Both&searchByType=productName&searchByValue=openemr&showSeachOption=BothEHR&sortAsc=true&sortBy=3&viewCertYear=2011&viewPracticeSetting=Ambulatory
- OpenEMR Features. http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Features
- Groen, P. OpenEMR Continues to grow in Popularity and Use. Open Health News: The Voice for the Open Health Community. December 18, 2012. Accessed September 2, 2013.
- OEMR. http://www.oemr.org/
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found